Friday, June 10, 2011

Reading up...

I'm really enjoying my Fodor's "See It, Vietnam" book. So far, my favorite (least favorite??) pieces are the 3 below:

-"Rush hour is generally all day in Vietnam, but peaks between 6:30am and 9:30am and between 4:00pm and 6:30pm. In Ho Chi Minh City the roads are only really quiet between about 2:00am and 5:00am."

(I hope you are reading with the sarcastic, humorous tone that I am... read on...)

-"Public buses, in general, are slow, old and cramped, but they usually arrive at their destination. It is not uncommon to see buses being totally disassembled at the side of the road, and it is rare to travel through the country by public transportation without experiencing several breakdowns or punctures. Speeds average no more than 22mph (35kph); public road transportation can be a long and tiresome (sometimes excruciating) business, but it is also fascinating and the best way to meet Vietnamese people."

(And then this one is just scary...)

-"According to Vietnam's National Committee for Traffic Safety, 6,327 people were killed in 9,470 traffic accidents in the first six months of 2004."

I have heard that the traffic (and just trying to cross the road) is crazy in HCMC... people have asked me if I plan on buying a moped... for the safety of myself AND others, I do not plan on driving a moped but will take taxis and (maybe) buy a bicycle. I also have two good feet that can take me places.  :) I'm still super excited and preparations are going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment