Friday, May 13, 2011

Aaaand it's booked!

I booked my flight to HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) this afternoon! That was big... both emotionally and financially :P  ...at least I'll be reimbursed for the financial part - and the emotional part is so worth it.

I leave Denver on Tuesday, July 12th and will arrive in HCMC that Thursday morning. AIS (American International School) will arrange for me to be picked up from the airport and for a hotel the first week. ...Then let the apartment hunting begin! I've already looked around a bit online and did find one apartment that I'm L-O-V-E with! I've contacted the realtor but haven't heard back yet ... and I want to see it in person first, so we'll see.

Other than the flight, I've kept busy with other to-do's... such as having my MA diploma notarized (I learned that one of our 3rd grade teachers is a Notary Public - who knew?!). Once the notarized police report arrives, I'll take both to the Secretary of State... I'm not sure what they will do but I printed a form, it will cost me $25 and they seem to know what needs to be done. From there, I send everything to the Vietnam Consulate in DC. Whew. After all of that - I hope it makes it back to me before my flight!

I've scheduled 3 different doctor appointments... and I suppose I still need to set up immunizations buuuut I am still pumping myself up for that one! Getting blood taken this morning was a big enough hurdle for a bit. (Uggghhhhh.)

Now, looking at my pre-departure checklist... I'm almost done! ...Although there is still much to do in the next two months, I'm getting there and I have a feeling that Vietnam will not only let me into their country... but love me (and my crazy frizzy humidity-filled hair)!

FUN NEWS: I wrote back and forth a couple of times last night with a variety of staff at AIS! That was exciting... they all seem very friendly and their apparent love for Vietnam makes me more and more excited. The high school and elementary librarians seem great and I know I will look forward to our monthly planning times together.

Oh - and on Barb Stuart's recommendation, I'm including a picture of the HCMC city map and travel guide that I have gotten so far. I love this version of Fodor's guide because it has pictures and maps throughout! It's interesting and user-friendly - yes, please! I'm waiting on a phrasebook, English-Vietnamese dictionary, and fiction book: Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam. (I have 3 copies of this book in my library at school but have not read it yet - it was a Colorado Children's Book Award nominee this past year!)


Oh... and there's the cutest travel alarm clock ever in the middle... but it does not seem to want to work.  :(  I think I will need to exchange it for a different one instead of hoping the alarm actually goes off when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment