Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy Teachers' Day!

Vietnam celebrates Teachers' Day today... and it is a big celebration for all students and teachers.

I love how respected teachers are in this country.

On my way to work this morning there was extra traffic, as so many motorbikes were pulled over at flower stalls... buying flowers to give to teachers.

I received a number of beautiful roses today, a silk scarf, cards, and other thoughtful gifts. Best of all was so many students wishing me a wonderful Teachers' Day all day   : )

Opening my school email this morning I had a great surprise... an email from a 9th grader asking if I could stay after school a bit today... a group of the 9th graders were going to make the trip back to the middle school campus to visit their teachers from last year. I've missed last year's 8th graders and it was great to see a number of them today!

Ms. Thy (the new library assistant) told me that it is a big tradition in Vietnam for students to not only thank their current teachers on this day... but to also go back and visit their past teachers. I love it! She also said that Teachers' Day often includes singing... by both students and teachers. The best singers in a school will be chosen to sing.

So to all of my family and friends (...and readers that have made their way to this blog post) in the field of education... Happy Teachers' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment