Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My favorite alley in Singapore... I found it!

I bought a postcard with a picture of these beautiful buildings on them... and then wanted to find them!


(Julie Lizak... be on the lookout for an awesome postcard.)    ;)

Well... my first two excursions (the first being blindly walking around the area I thought this street might be in) turned out to be fruitless. The locals that I stopped to ask, showing them the postcard, seemed very confused and didn't know where the street was. I was surprised, as I thought this would be a famous location (as the postcard said in its description!).

After searching a bit more on my last morning (we had to leave at 11am to catch the lightrail out to the train station)... I was walking back from the Bugis Street area to the hotel... I had two choices:

1) walk down Bugis Street (the largest outdoor street-shopping area in Singapore)... heavy human traffic
2) continue one block further and walk along a busy 4-lane road... heavy automobile traffic

Ooooor... I could cut down a back alley between the two 'choices' and forgo all traffic.

Aaaand that extra option just happened to be THE street!!!

I couldn't believe how it worked out, really. I had all but given up on the idea of finding this street (which turned out to be, quite literally, a back alley)... and alas, it appears!

The buildings are each painted a different color from one another (as are the spiral staircases)... but they are all much more faded than the postcard I had bought... which I kind of loved. I was SO happy to find these treasures! They're so cute and spunky... and I loved even more that it just exists to exist... it's not overridden with tourists (the locals didn't even know about it!).



1 comment: