Thursday, August 18, 2011

Birthday Day :)

Today has been a great day! It began with finding a coconut lady that is right on my way to work! Coconut juice is so much more enjoyable when cold... so I brought the coconut to school, put it in the fridge, and it was the perfect afternoon snack. ...This may become a daily perk.

When I walked into the library, Phuong had a beautiful bouquet of roses for me, a set of great bracelets, AND a handmade card. She's the sweetest.

A social studies class came to the library this morning for an orientation and the students were all telling me happy birthday! Their teacher had given them a heads-up... very cute. They even sang Happy Birthday to me... super speedy version.

Later in the morning, we had an all-school assembly and the counselor was introducing me... and told everyone that she had a secret that they'd be really excited to hear. ...After everyone in school knew it was my birthday, I was getting birthday wishes non-stop the rest of the day! It was pretty great... the kids were so excited for me.

Yesterday and today have both been better in the library - in regards to respect and cleaning up after themselves. It's great how these kids take new teachers right in. I get hellos and goodbyes all over the place... and the kids are really learning my name quickly! I like going by Miss Stacia.  :)  I also like that I feel as if I already have regulars in the library. A couple more incredible nicknames came up today... Titan and Starfire. Awesome.  :)

After school, Phuong and I drove out to the au dai tailor. I tried it on and it's beautiful! I'm still not sure where I'll be wearing it to but it will be so special to have. I will create an event to wear the au dai to, haha. The tailor has to take a few places in but it was pretty much perfect. I think I will be able to pick it up this weekend.

From there, I went into District 1 to meet up with some teachers from school getting together for my birthday. Even our principal came out :)  We went to this great restaurant - the 3rd floor is a rooftop bar / restaurant and as soon as I turned the corner from the stairs... I just about lost my breath. It was beautiful. Exactly what I would have picked for myself - open air, comfortable yet chic, and great sangria.  :)  Sarah even brought me a double-chocolate cupcake!!! Deeelish.

My dad always says that birthdays and holidays are "just another day" - well, today was a great one.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!!! We miss you and we are all really proud of you and what you are doing. Eat an extra piece of something sweet for us:) XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY Stacia! It sounds as though you had a great day!
    I hope you enjoyed Grandma's and my rendition of Happy Birthday (we left it on your Google Voice).

    Love, Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to meet titan and Starfire... do they have super powers? I think they are mutants, you should test them.

    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had such a great day!!!!
    Love, Aunt Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacia - sorry that I'm writing this on Aug. 22, BUT ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I am still loving reading about your new adventures. I fell a few days behind, but I am catching up now. Hope you continue to enjoy your school year and your new discoveries.
    Love you,
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete