Monday, August 29, 2011

The Things They Carry

This morning I met with the other AIS librarians - from the elementary and high school - Jaye and Louise. It was nice to meet in a cafe and talk about library things.  :)

A driver from the school took me and to and from the meeting... and look who we ran into on the street! -

We passed many other interesting sights on the street... (and don't be fooled by the clothing... it is HOT and humid here! People cover up so much because they are afraid of the sun and do not want dark skin... but I don't know how they manage to wear so much clothing in this climate)...



Alvin and the Chipmunks scooter!

Another 5er... better than yesterday's.

If only I could get pictures of all of the things they carry on scooters... it's quite impressive, really.

Towards the end of the school day, Sarah and I went across the street to meet with the librarian (Nell) at the Saigon Pearl International School (pre-school through 6th grade). We are going to set up reading buddies between the schools! A class of Sarah's 6th grade ESL students will go over to Nell's school monthly and read with two classes of 3-year olds! I love it.  :)

Then, Sarah and I were really good and went to the gym again. While we were there, it began pouring rain and the wind was something fierce! We got pho for dinner downstairs, thinking that maybe the rain would let up a bit... no such luck. I drove home and was surprised to see how flooded the streets were (I really shouldn't have been surprised I guess...). In some places the roads had water up to where my feet are on my scooter! Motorbikes were stalled out all over... just stopped working and sitting in water about a foot or so deep. Craziness - I'm glad I made it home... I pulled into the basement, looked at Mr. Nhan from under my raincoat's hood and helmet, and said, mua (rain). Then I parked my scooter, stood up, and shook off the water... Mr. Nhan laughed pretty hard.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment