Monday, August 1, 2011

Work has begun...

Our school had a reception at the hotel for all new teachers today. It was a bit exhausting meeting everyone - there was so much energy buzzing around the room! I enjoyed hearing everyone's stories - where they've come from and what they'll teach here. So many of them have taught abroad before (in places I have never heard of!)... and a number of them are married couples... I think it's so nice that they can do this together and share the adventures.

There are 7 new teachers at the middle school (I think 9 at the elementary and 12 at the high school).

While meeting other teachers, I was thinking of how glad I am that I decided to come two weeks early. Some of the teachers just got in a few days ago... others just got in last night or even this morning! I cannot imagine. I'm so glad to feel settled... have a place, a cell phone, and even a scooter. Just feeling acclimated to the time difference makes me feel more relaxed to begin a new job. A couple of the teachers thought that I was a returning teacher!  :P

I went to a great dinner after the get-together with Riki, Saleshni, and Natalie (the first 2 are the Australians that I've gotten together with before and love... and I just met Natalie today; she is from Montreal and really nice). We had fish (literally an entire fish came in some foil), greens and cucumbers, rice noodles, and sauce... that you wrap up in rice paper and is absolutely delicious. I told the girls that I'm so glad we were having this meal together because if an entire fish came to my table and I were alone, I don't think I'd eat it! They made me feel brave... and it was deeeelicious.  :)

We begin training and informational sessions tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

I just set up the time with Mr. Nhan for the xe om driver to take me to school tomorrow morning. I learned a new phrase! ...Sang mai means tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment