Thursday, August 11, 2011

Livin' Local

I had a wonderful soup for lunch today. The flavors, shrimp, veggies, and noodles were perfect... but better yet was the location and atmosphere. Restaurants pop up on the corner of streets throughout the day and evening and this "Soup Lady" has a great corner "restaurant"! We sat outside in little plastic chairs, at little metal tables... surrounded by locals. The place was packed.

I guess Soup Lady shops for her ingredients every morning at the market, makes one huge pot of soup and serves it until it runs out. I'm glad we made it before she ran out for the day :) Sitting on this corner, crouched in the little kids' chair, amidst local Vietnamese on lunch break was a pretty cool feeling. AND the soup was delicious :)

THEN when the xe om driver dropped me off, I hopped on my own scooter and...

...I drove myself to and from school!!! Each way took me about 15 minutes... but I bet I can get it down to about 10 or 12... which is great. I am surprisingly pleased that I did not make one wrong turn the entire roundtrip! There were lots of beeps (at me?? I have no idea... I'm really turning local and learning to not flinch or look around at the beeps) and a few close calls BUT I made it. (And really, "close calls" happen often with the xe om drivers too... so I think I did alright.) I arrived back at the apartment just after 5:00pm... so the traffic was significant during my ride, which felt great to show myself that I can do it.

Tomorrow I will drive myself to school! YAHOO!

(I am often reminding myself throughout the drive... focus, this is serious, ...but this rocks! haha)

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You did it! That is impressive, just knowing the way there! Please be careful. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacia -I'm enjoying watching your transition from exploring your new surroundings by yourself, to settling into a new lifestyle with new friends and colleagues. That's great too that they know some good eateries. Awesome job on the scooter! Like your mom said -Be careful. Ride on, Milton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Stac, that's awesome! Keep up the good work. And your mom is cute, haha. But agreed - be careful :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Stacia - way to drive!!! Sounds like you're really getting the hang of everything - even the lizards! Keep up the good work and your fantastic attitude.
    Lots of Love,
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone! ...About to make my first real drive to school :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Stacia I finally caught up and read your blog...the whole blog! Just never find the time. So proud of you but more so excited! Glad you adjusted quickly. Your apartment is adorable and your friends seem great. Hope to skype with you sooner than later. And ditto your mom "be careful". Love, Aunt Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so brave to drive a scooter there, good on ya, Stacia!!! Sounds like you are having a great time in Vietnam. Jenn

    ReplyDelete