Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Daily Life...

Here are a number of videos, each of a different part of my ride home from the middle school today:



In the video below, we are turning onto the main road near my place (Phan Xich Long)... and then arriving at the apartment! (These are basically the roads I've been driving on with my scooter.)  :)

Lastly, here is a short clip from yesterday morning's ride to the elementary school, which shows all of the shops along the street (and every street is like this!)...

The first couple days here were a bit of a shock to me... but now Ho Chi Minh City feels like regular days in many ways. When I watch these videos, however, it hits me... where I am, how different it is from the U.S. and the never-ending shops squished together block by block!

6 comments:

  1. that 3rd video, where it seems like he is going across 6 lanes of traffic, each going different ways...OMG!!! Do you hold on for dear life?!?! It's crazy!!! Wait until your first trip back to Colorado; it will be SO quiet to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - Deb - Yes!! It's crazy. Sometimes I feel myself cringing or wanting to say "OMG!" there is a handle on the back of every motorbike... so I hold on to that with one arm and my purse with the other. :P I did hear one new teacher say that she looks for the really old drivers to take her around... because they've survived longer :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha... Vince... it's nuts, right?! There are some stop lights... mostly in the center of the city in District 1... but not many. It's quite crazy... but it seems to just 'work' for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You really have to trust your driver. I couldn't get over how he just drove through the traffic going the other way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter :) good to hear from you! I just received an email from you mom telling me about your travels - sounds great! Let me know if you're ever near Vietnam. :)

    ReplyDelete