Saturday, August 6, 2011

Daily updating...

Yesterday's training was fine. I really like that we have plenty of time to get our own work done. Yesterday I was knee-deep (literally) in dictionaries... re-organizing. There's a lot that I'd like to do with the shelving next week too. I've checked out a bunch of books to myself to read and start trying to get to know the collection. (It's also nice to have books on my shelves in the apartment!) Right now I'm reading, Holes, by Louis Sachar... I can't believe I've never read it before (I've even recommended it a number of times to students! haha... so it's about time).

All of the new teachers, administration, and returning teachers that are in the area, got together for a great dinner last night. It was at a five-star restaurant that is right on the river in the Binh Thanh District (same district that the middle school is in). The restaurant is outside though... so everyone was sweating the entire time haha. I wore jeans... what a mistake... I'm not sure how they do it here (everyone is in jeans and long sleeves all the time).

After dinner a number of us went out for a drink in District 1 and karaoke started up while we were there. Karaoke is huge here - a very popular nighttime activity. It was a bit odd and I have yet to figure it all out... the singer kept receiving roses with money in them and would put them off to the side while he sang. I only saw one singer the whole time... and it seemed the waiter supplied the roses and money...?? I'm not sure how it all works.  :P

I had fresh watermelon juice - again. I've realized that I love it... watermelon juice is so refreshing and sweet (although I think they usually add sugar to their juices).

This morning I opened the cupboard under the kitchen sink and heard a scuttling noise. I moved a bowl and a lizard popped out at me and ran behind the water cooler! I'm pretty sure we both scared the heck out of each other.  :P  I don't really mind lizards though... and maybe he'll eat the other bugs for me.

I still hear the chirping noise now and then too... but I've decided that whatever it is... we can be roomies. (Unless, of course, he turns out to be huge and slimy.)

Mai came to see me this morning because I was upset that the clothes I sent to be dry cleaned last week came back and had all shrunk! I don't know if they used water or if the machine is malfunctioning... but not cool. She was very nice and said that she is upset about it too... this dry cleaner was recommended by another tenant but we will try somewhere else next time (and I will just give one piece to try out next time... instead of 4). Live and learn I guess... but I was extra upset because I brought so little clothing with me as is. I hope to buy some fabrics soon and find a great tailor that I can use over and over.

I went to Thi to get a mani/pedi and I love that her face lights up when I walk into the salon! I got a french manicure and a purple/gray color on my toes. I'm not sure why but it was even less this time than the others. I figure it might be because I don't have her cut the cuticles or anything... just file and paint. OR I like to think that maybe I'm "in" now and am getting the locals price.  :P  Either way, they look beautiful.

After leaving Thi I went to the cafe and saw my friend, Lam (who had the birthday recently). His face also lit up when I walked into the cafe! Yay! Maybe he was worried when I didn't come at all during the week since I've started to work.

It's funny how stores here seem to disappear during the day. Many stores close midday and reopen at night. I plan to head out soon to go to a store that I saw on the xe om ride to dinner last night... it's not far from my place but on a street that I had never been on before.

Things I've learned since being in Vietnam:

  • The louder the sneeze, the better.
  • Pick your nose like it's your job.
  • If you're a young boy... you learn to pee in public.
  • If you're a grown man... you've already learned to pee in public... so by all means, the busier the street, the better.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacia, I am so enjoying your updates. Keep up the good work.
    Jessica's wedding is today (it is 1:21 AM on Aug. 7 right now!). We're all excited for her big event. I'll be sure to send you some pictures.
    Miss you lots.
    Love you,
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Tell Jessica that I say hello, congratulations, and to have the BEST day! :) I'll look forward to seeing the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete