Thursday, October 6, 2011

Canisius College

On my drive home today there was a young guy ahead of me with a Canisius College bag on his back!! I figured that there might very well be more than one Canisius College in the world than the one in Buffalo, NY... buuut I  still got an immense feeling of excitement and 'Home'!

I pulled up next to him at the next red light and said, "Canisius College!"

He looked at me with some fear on his face and began trying to look at his back (since I was pointing excitedly!).

I knew that he probably had no idea what I was saying... buuut I kept going... "Canisius College! That's in New York... where I am from!"

...Well... much to my surprise, he got it! AND he spoke fluent English!

He said that a friend of his gave him the bag. He asked how long I've been in Ho Chi Minh and what I do here. He is in a pharmacy school in the city but is from the middle of Vietnam.

...Then the light turned green and I'll probably never see him again.

I loved the little, random piece of home! I know I'm not from Buffalo, NY... BUT being halfway around the world, it's close enough to count as my hometown.  :D

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I know what you mean. I did a 10km on Sunday and a little kid was wearing a Champion brand track suit and it said Rochester, NY on the back. I asked the little girl if she knew where that was, but she said she had no idea, haha. I have actually seen a few people wearing stuff that says Rochester NY, in Japan for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the same thing in Lucca, Italy!!

    ReplyDelete