Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wild and Wet Journey Home

After school today I went to the gym... on my way home I turned down the usual side road and found a back-up of motorbikes and the road completely flooded. ...I didn't think it had rained at all today??? Hmmm...

I drove through the flood... saying to myself, "Oh my gosh, oh no, oh my gosh, oh no..." over and over the entire way. My little Yamaha Cuxi is a trooper and made it through safely. As I was about to drive over a small bridge, I pulled over to take some photos and a short video clip:


 
The right side of the river used to be a street!

 Street-no-more.


I drove over the bridge and continued on my way home... only to stop once more at the sight of... this...




A local was laughing at me taking these photos and motioned for me to go through - HA! I looked at him and said, pathetically, "I don't want to."

The sight of multiple scooters stalled and sitting still in the knee-deep water did nothing for making me want to take the chance of going through that... only to probably find more flooding further along.

He then motioned for me to turn around and go back the way I came - that's more like it! I did just that... having to go through the first area of flooding again... but making it... and going around and through District 1 to get home.

I figured I'd make the detour worth it and stop at City Mart for the yogurt I like. When I first moved here I was told by a returning teacher that you often have to go to 3 or 4 different stores just for a few groceries... so true. The yogurt that I found that I like is only at City Mart...

After some zigs and zags through various streets I was afraid that I might not find City Mart coming from this direction and I started to head home... but alas! --> City Mart!

...After parking, paying to park, and making my way into the store... no.yogurt. Sweet. (Not.)

So... home it was... yogurt-less but dry and a running scooter... perfect.

Where I cross the river near my neighborhood... more flooding! This time it was just along the sides of the street though.

...In chatting with Sarah this evening, turns out that the river rises around this time of year. Ohhhhh. Haha - that makes a lot more sense now... I didn't think it had rained today!

No comments:

Post a Comment