Monday, October 31, 2011

Just enough

Everything in Vietnam seems to be just different enough... to not work as I hope or would like.

...Like marshmallows not melting when I am trying to make rice krispie treats.

After seeing Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal for over 200,000 dong (over $10.00 USD) I decided that I would continue the search for some generic almost-rice-krispies.

Going grocery shopping means you go to 4 different stores... because each one carries something different.

...Then you have to try to remember which store has each item for next time.

...But next time... that item that you had been so happy to find is gone - like the yogurt at Citi Mart!

Anyway - I did find some generic rice krispies in another convenience store... these were 50,000 dong (about $2.50 USD) - perfect!


I even found some marshmallows.

So... rice krispie treats should be relatively easy... very delicious... and a wonderful feel-good treat.

Except - I forgot that everything here is different just enough to not work how I'd like it to... like the marshmallows not wanting to melt.

I've never had to use potholders when making rice krispie treats - but I microwaved those marshmallows so many times last night that the bowl was too hot to hold!

Sheesh.

It's a bit scary to think of what these things must be made of... to not melt after over 10 minutes in a microwave.

I've ended up with a bowlful of rice krispie coated marshmallows... close enough??  :P


Although I covered it with saran wrap last night, I find my treat this morning to be rock hard... and extremely rubbery when I do try to chew through... FAIL.

And of course I have an extra bag of these rubbery non-melting marshmallows because I figured it was a brilliant idea to be able to make rice krispie treats (should be soooo easy) and, being smart and knowing that what is in the store one day might not be there the next, I stocked up...

3 comments:

  1. I do feel for you. It seems like getting marshmallows to melt is not too much to ask for. But, your picture of the rice crispies coating the whole marshmallows is sort of funny! It is a very clear picture illustrating the differences you are trying to show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I think they have that generic brand of rice krispsies here in Japan too. If you can't find melty marshmallows there, I can always send you some. The marshmallows here still aren't as light and fluffy as the ones back home, but at least they melt. We have made smores many a time here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny T - thanks!! Mmmm s'mores :) I have bought a different brand... will see how these work sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete