Friday, October 7, 2011

Pineapple-Carrot

As I walked into the tailor's this afternoon, Dung ("Yoom" - obviously, right?!) greeted me by saying, "You look tired today. Are you tired?"

Ha! Either I just looked worse than usual today... or she was able to see my long and busy (but good!) week. I've been surprised more than once at how good and in-tune people here can be at reading a person without anything having been said.

I plan to use this weekend to reenergize myself... just enjoying the time and filling it with things that make me feel good (going to a cafe or two, reading, working out, writing postcards home and going to my favorite post office to mail them, drinking lots of fresh fruit juice... etc.)

I have already begun this plan with the fresh fruit juice part. I just got back from stopping in at a restaurant a couple blocks from my apartment and ordering a pineapple-carrot juice with no sugar, to-go... quite the order to communicate but I did it!

Sitting across from a tiny-sized, food-only elevator (the restaurant is 5 stories), I watched two carrots be taken out and brought to the preparation counter. The girl behind the counter came around to the cooler and took out a little pineapple. ...The juicer revved up... and soon after, one of the workers walked back inside with a to-go cup and straw. (I guess they don't usually do to-go!)

For less than $1.50 (tip included) I left the restaurant sipping my freshly-juiced pineapple and carrot juice... which is just that and nothing else. Mmmm perfection in a to-go cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment