Saturday, October 29, 2011

Malaysian food... mmmm...

During my week in different parts of Malaysia, I learned that I love Malaysian food.   :)

(...but this was probably my least favorite, haha... noodles and veggies at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. It was ok but didn't compare to our other meals through the week; it was too oily and not enough spice-oomf.) We had similar meals to this at the place we stayed in Borneo - The Sepilok Jungle Resort - and those were all delicious! (I just forgot to get pictures.)  :P

Lunch in the Kuala Lumpur LCCT airport - delicious! Rice, veggies ("buck choi"), and tempeh (soy beans fermented in banana leaves) ...And this plateful cost only 4.50 in ringott (about $1.20 USD).

Mmmm getting fresh coconut juice at the bottom of the Terjun Waterfall in Langkawi.

Coconuts!

Yes, please.  :)

At Champor Champor (Malay for "all mixed up") - deeeelicious dinner! Starting out with tofu sate (above).

And then we split thai red curry and pegiri (sp??) curry :)

Breakfast at a street warung in Langkawi... rice, fried egg, greens, and some delicously spiced vegetable that I told Riki, "If I were in the U.S. I would think this was cooked celery."

Riki replied... "Oh! It probably is celery!"

Haha... I guess I'm getting used to this other-side-of-the-world thing and didn't even think there would be celery.

Mmmmm lunch in Little India, Kuala Lumpur. Eaten traditionally off of banana leaves and with our hands. THIS was my favorite meal.   :D
AND my teh tahrik tea in the background! (Malaysian CHAI!!)

Indian desserts! Delicious... especially with tea.  

Traveling with Riki and Saleshni was wonderful. I love these two girls. They're experienced travelers and experienced in this part of the world -- and culture... I learned so much from these two. Riki's first language was Malay (growing up in Indonesia) and Saleshni is fluent as well. My first thought when hearing someone speaking Malay --the flight attendant on our first flight to Kuala Lumpur-- was: "Wow! What a fun language!" Even their being vegetarians taught me a lot and I really enjoyed our trip together. This week back at work I've realized that I miss them terribly - them being at the elementary school and me at the middle school. I look forward to future trips!

The one phrase in Malay that I learned (and made great use of during our trip) is terimah kasih, which means thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment