Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hoi An... tailors, tailors, tailors!

Another something-something that Hoi An is famous for is its tailoring! ...Both clothing and shoes are tailor-made in just a day or two. [A very dangerous attraction for me!]

I had a few jackets made at this tailor's shop...

Hoi An is a small town but has 100's of tailors (seriously)... we basically just walked/biked around a chose tailors to try out based on what they had on display.

I also had my sandals copied. They are a cheap pair that I've had for a long time (they've been to both Ecuador and Italy with me!... and now also Malaysia, Borneo, Singapore, ...and obviously Vietnam). The copy turned out perfectly... and are even leather... but I had to leave my sandals with the tailor for a day so ended up being barefoot the rest of the morning and at lunch! (Honestly, however, this is not all that unusual in Vietnam... and I do love to bike barefoot.)   :)

I loved simply walking around Hoi An and making random turns onto streets and alleys.

At one point, Elizabeth and I were lucky enough to turn into the little neighborhood with all of the tailors at work!

(The tailor shops have all of the fabric and the workers there 
know how to measure you and understand the styling... then they hire out to the 
actual tailors to make the garments.)

The lady above was very sweet and liked our "xin chao" - hello! 
...and she even has a Singer!

No comments:

Post a Comment