Saturday, June 2, 2012

aaand I've tried DURIAN!!

Durian is known throughout Southeast Asia as the king fruits.

It is also banned from many public places - such as hotels and trains... because of its strong, distinct, and potent smell.

I adore the description of durian's smell in the Wikipedia article:

"The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine, and gym socks."


(Click here to read the Wikipedia article...)


This fruit is large in size and has a spiky outside.

Andy tried durian during a short stint in Burma recently... and talked me in to trying it today. I've been up for the challenge but haven't gotten around to it yet... nor have I been overly stoked to do so.  :P

We found a lady in my neighborhood with a basket of durians on the back of her motorbike... she cut one open for us, packaged the edible pieces of fruit for us, and we were on our way.


...On our way with a strong odor clouding up around us!

I've heard from people who have tried it that if you're able to get past the smell, the taste isn't so bad...

Overall - I'm glad I went for it. I would even eat it again... but don't plan to ever crave durian or buy it for myself to eat... unless that meant that I was getting a friend to try it for the first time!


Durian-face!

Durian-face!

After our durian snack we bagged up the leftovers and disposed of them outside.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment