Saturday, December 10, 2011

Old Market - Siem Reap day 2

Below is Bella, the hotel owner's new puppy.  :)  I had finished the 10K run before 9am, returned to the hotel to shower, and then was on my way to the Old Market.


I can't believe I actually stood here long enough to get this shot.  :P
O.M.G.



I enjoyed the Old Market a lot -- unlike the newer market that I stumbled upon the day before, this market included both touristy items and goods that the locals would buy (food and household goods).

The haggling got a bit much for me and I would take breaks walking around the outside of the market instead of through the narrow aisles. Everyone at each stall asks, "What you want ladyyyyyy?" It gets pretty annoying.

I was looking at a beautiful silver bracelet in a stall and the lady was sweet but she became really, really pushy. She basically pushed me away as a costumer because I didn't want the bracelet anymore, I just wanted to get away from her. 

I said goodbye and went to leave... and she literally grabbed my arm. This was the first time that someone has gone beyond haggling and actually touched me. I told her firmly to let go of me... she kept telling me non-stop to wait, wait wait... I told her again, more firmly, to let go of me. 

By this time, the two of us had created a bit of a scene for the other workers. She let go and I turned to her and said, "You don't just grab someone," and promptly left. Having seen what just happened, no one at the next few stalls said a thing to me or called me ladyyyyy. From what I took, it seemed that the workers were in shock that the lady had grabbed me and I called her out on it...

1 comment:

  1. The sales lady was out of line grabbing you. I am so very proud of you for standing up to her and telling her firmly to let you alone. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete