Monday, April 30, 2012

Happy Reunification Day Vietnam!

Today, April 30th, is Vietnam's Reunification, or Liberation, Day.

This day marks the fall of Saigon and the reunification of Vietnam that took place in 1975.

About a week ago I noticed flags lining the bridge and river near my place and wondered what they were for...


WELL... once I realized the Reunification holiday was coming up, I assumed that these flags had to do with this Vietnamese holiday... BUT, as I researched into this flag (just now for this post), I find that it is actually a Buddhist flag!


The picture below (roughly) translates to: Hail Buddha's Birthday.

(Looking into this more... Buddha's birthday was on April 28 this year.)


The picture below is near the big temple along the river in my neighborhood...

The entire street is lined in the flags...

NOW this makes more sense to me... as these flags are right near a Buddhist temple (ahhhh -- ooook).


So interesting. ...I continue to learn more and more in so many ways here ...on a daily basis. Now, I'm realizing what a prevalence Buddhism has in my area of the city... as I have not seen these flags much elsewhere.

This is one of my favorite views / spots on the river in my neighborhood.


May 1st is International Labor Day... so we have a four-day weekend... whoohooo!!

And a happy belated birthday to Buddha!

AND... a very happy birthday to my brother, Lenny, tomorrow -- May 1st!   :D
Love ya Len!   <3

No comments:

Post a Comment