Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Vietnamese poem...

My friend, Becky, works in an elementary library in the school district I was working at before moving to Vietnam. She sent me the following poem a while back and I just love it (especially because I even know a few of the Vietnamese words in it!... AND... I do love to eat.)   :)

I like fish. Toi thich ca
I like chicken. Toi thich ga.
I like duck. Toi thich vit.
I like meat. Toi thich thit.
But though I like ca, ga, vit, thit --
Fish and chicken, duck and meat --
Best of all I like to eat.

The poem is from a book titled, If I Had a Paka : Poems in Eleven Languages.

Poem "sounds like" :


I like fish. Toy tik ka
I like chicken. Toy tik ga
I like duck. Toy tik veet
I like meat. Toy tik teet
Buck though I like ka, ga, veet, teet --
Fish and chicken, duck and meat --
Best of all I like to eat.

(...I'm still mainly on a vegetarian's diet here ...but have found a few expat places where I trust the meat and it is good quality. ...I was surprised that my dad even became 'vegetarian' during his time in Vietnam! The first few times he ordered meat here he just wasn't happy with it -- but I do think he was happier with the food and options in this country than he expected coming in.)

2 comments:

  1. "Like" is spelled "Thích" or "thich" in vietnamese :d

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha - thanks Tina! I will fix it :)

    ReplyDelete