Friday, April 27, 2012

Vietnamese funeral...

I often see these fancy 'buses' cruising through the city. I was on my way to the pharmacy before work this morning and heard the music from this vehicle coming towards me.

...Come to find out, it is a Vietnamese funeral procession. The process of mourning is very important to the Vietnamese. There are specific rituals to be followed. I think a lot of the beliefs and reasons for the rituals are based in Confucianism.




Sometimes, large tents with tables and chairs underneath will be set up in my neighborhood... they become crowded with people all wearing white cloth tired around their heads... like those in the vehicle above. They do so for a funeral... the cloth is the 'mourning turban'.

I have been woken up early (5 am-ish) many mornings hearing marching bands going through my neighborhood... also part of a funeral... the 'mourning band'.

No comments:

Post a Comment