Thursday, April 12, 2012

Reflecting

I've been feeling reflective of my life in Vietnam... this experience... where I am right now in my life...

Since my (mediocre) time in Bangkok to my first time back in the States in over 8 months... I think it's time to reflect and get these words typed out...

(You don't have to read all of this, by any means... but I know Mom and Dad will probably read it word for word, and I appreciate that! Ha! The last bullet is mostly for the two of them anyway.)

THEN I realized that my 9-month anniversary with Vietnam is coming up on the 14th!! (Even more perfect...)
  • While in Bangkok it dawned on me how lucky I am to have (somewhat blindly) ended up in Vietnam! The position I'm in now is the only interview I had... I wanted to teach abroad, this job sounded like a good fit, it's located in Saigon... so I moved to Vietnam! Through my travels, it's been interesting to visit different places and see how 'liveable' (or not) they seem to be. Saigon is very livable. VERY different from anything I'm used to... but it has an easy way of life (especially for a foreign teacher... a well-respected profession here). I also realized how lucky I am to have ended up somewhere so safe... being a woman on my own... that's huge and I lucked out.
  • A wonderful realization during my time in San Francisco was that I missed different parts of my life in Vietnam! ...I missed the myriad of fresh fruits, the street markets, being able to have a fresh juice with no sugar delivered to school on a motorbike; I missed cruising around on my motorbike; I missed my favorite cafes; I missed my friends, etc. etc. It was good to notice this and realize that I want to appreciate the good things here more while I can.
  • It was bizarre to email a friend and write that I want to travel and see as much as I can during my two years in Vietnam because I may never get to this area of the world again. Right now, this is my 'home'... and to realize that I may never come back to SE Asia again after this... to my 'home' - is incredibly weird.
  • Leading from the last note... I want to continue my focus of taking in this experience with a positive view... growing as a person, learning independence, seeing the world, learning about different cultures, etc. etc.
  • This first week back in Saigon, after 4 days in the States, has been tough. It felt so SO good to be back Home... where things are 'normal'. San Francisco especially - a city that I adore, which has an amazing/fun culture and beauty at every turn. Saigon is a different world.
  • I made sure to get back to the gym last night and that felt great... just what I needed. I'd rather be able to run outside for sure, but the pollution and heat here make that incredibly unappealing. I've learned to take in my daily workouts as a peaceful, mind-balancing time... doing yoga and going for a good run last night was just what I needed. (That, and also going for a lovely dinner at Au Parc with the lovely Patrice.)   :)
  • This week has been full of reminding myself that I need to stay present in this life in Vietnam. I am here for another year+ and want to continue enjoying this. I have another visit back to the States coming up in (just!) two months. Before moving here, a relative told me that at least 90% of my happiness and success in these two years of living abroad is my attitude... and so true that is! It is what I make of it.
  • Even though this week has been tough getting back into the mindset of 'Vietnam' after having 'normal' for 4 days in the States... I've found being back at school very refreshing. I'm finally getting the feeling that I'm making a positive contribution to this school (not that I wasn't before... but I'm filled with this feeling now and can see it). I'm passionate about what I do and feel like I'm seeing it come alive more now... just as we begin the last quarter! I know it takes time to get into a new job... but I am proud of what the library has become in this school... the culture and feel that a person (hopefully) feels as soon as he/she walks through the doors. I'm preparing for our upcoming Book Week and feel really good about being able to insert my creativity into different activities... and see them being well received by others... such a good feeling. I'm really thankful for the staff and students at this school... they're pretty awesome.
  • Over the past 4 or 5 years I have more consciously been working on who I am as a person and who I want to be... moving halfway around the world has helped in this process greatly. I'm thankful for where I am in my life right now and, although difficult at times, I look forward to another year+ of living as an expat in Vietnam and growing, learning, developing as a person... more into who I want to be. One of the first things to come to mind with this... is to continue realizing just how important my family and friends are to me -- those relationships and people who will be a part of the rest of my life -- and to appreciate them, be patient with them, and attempt to shine my light on them as the person I want to be... as I am filled with their light and love. (I told you I was feeling a need to reflect... so I feel I'm able to be as sappy and emotional as I want to be.)   ;)
I've always had much to be thankful for... and this experience is a time in my life that I will remember forever... it is shaping me into a better person. ...Pretty incredible.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment