Monday, April 2, 2012

arriving in Bangkok

There's my plane... getting ready to board and take off for Bangkok, Thailand! AirAsia is a great budget airline in this part of the world.

The sun was pretty cool at this point...


I sat next to a guy from Wales who has been living in Thailand for the past 12 years. He told me it'd be easy enough to not take a taxi from the airport, but to instead go for the metro and Sky Train. ...I went for it but perhaps was a bit too cocky - as a solo (female) traveler... in Bangkok of all places, I probably shouldn't have been walking around the city late at night... which is what ended up happening.

The information desk at the airport helped to give me directions on how to go about this... but... (come to find out), the guy didn't know where on North Sathon Road the B&B was that I wanted to get too...

I took the metro from the airport, transferring onto the SkyTrain... buuut then getting off the SkyTrain 3 stops too early (thanks airport information desk!). I ended up with an almost 2-hour walk to get to the Bed and Breakfast. Making things even more exciting... was how none of the buildings along the street have address numbers... I flagged down a taxi but (as I had read about this B&B ahead of time) he had no idea where to go from the address and basically told me to keep walking.

Below, is a common site - trash piled up along the side of the road waiting to be picked up...


I walked along this highway road for most of the journey... the B&B ended up being located at the end of this road.


The long, shaky start in Bangkok definitely added to my negative feelings of the city at first... but I am glad that I was able to turn it around a bit by the end of the visit. AND I'm happy to write that I feel as if I (somewhat) conquered the Sky Train as well! I ended up figuring it out and took the Sky Train most of the time to get around.

No comments:

Post a Comment