Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Son Cham ruins, Vietnam

The My Son ancient temples were a great half-day trip. I'm really glad that Tracy and I made it out there. The ride on motorbikes (and multiple stops to ask people directions along the way... charade style) took about an hour and a half each way... the drive was great too! I love driving through the local countryside of Vietnam. Gorgeous.

You can read about the My Son temples on the Wikipedia article here. And below, I've copied and pasted the first paragraph, which I find really interesting...

Mỹ Sơn (Vietnamese pronunciation: is a cluster of abandoned and partially ruined Hindu temples constructed between the 4th and the 14th century AD by the kings of Champa (Chiêm Thành in Vietnamese). The temples are dedicated to the worship of the god Shiva, known under various local names, the most important of which is "Bhadresvara."

My Son is not nearly as vast as that of Angkor Wat and temples around Siem Reap, Cambodia... but it still is worth the trip from Hoi An. Many of the temples were destroyed from bombing during the war... but it seems that what remains is being well taken care of.

Our first temple spotting as we went "temple hunting"!


This was the largest area of temples in the area...



No comments:

Post a Comment