Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Saigon Zoo and Botanical Gardens

Hmmm... I have not made it to the Saigon Zoo yet... even though it is centrally located in the city and on my way(ish) home from work.

Below is the Saigon Zoo's main entrance on Nguyen Binh Khiem Street, District 1...

I have various feelings about zoos... the depressing, negative feelings win over others... BUT as I looked more into the Saigon Zoo (read the Wikipedia article here) I realize that it also includes many rare orchids and plants! I had no idea that a botanical garden was within the zoo as well. AND... I'm just learning that this zoo is one of the oldest in the world!

[Just added the zoo to my ideas for things to do when my mom is here this summer!]

I've also heard that the zoo is a great place to go running (now that makes a bit more sense to me... running through a garden area seems much more enjoyable than caged animals)... especially since admission is only around 50 cents.

Some say the zoo feels more like a prison for animals... and that's definitely a worry of mine... but I did experience the War Remnants Museum (click here to see my post about the WRM)... so I may as well give the zoo a go as well. Like the museum, though, I'm thinking one visit will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment