Tuesday, November 15, 2011

40-cent salsa

I went by the street market near school on my way home today and bought some produce from my favorite lady.

Check out the spread I got... for 9,000 dong... or about 40 cents!


You know what this means?

Homemade salsa!  :D

Making my way on my bike through the narrow street market I was a part of the local Saigon life. ...Fish, meats, and produce line the sides of the street... motorbikes and bicycles are dodging women in conical hats walking along... and of course a stray chicken here or there.

...Just another normal day in Saigon!



Ooo... I'm really enjoying my current read! We have very few books in the middle school library on Vietnam... but one is, Descending the Dragon...


This book is about an American man's 800-mile journey in a sea kayak along Vietnam's coast (he was making a film for National Geographic); he traveled from Hanoi to Hoi An.

The book was written 10 years ago, which makes it even more interesting, since that is around the time when foreigners were finally being let into the country. I can relate to so much that is written... and love the wonderful photographs of the country's people.

This is probably more of a coffee table book than a novel but I'm loving it and I highly recommend this book if you ever come across it!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment