Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lost with temples

I managed to completely turn myself around heading home from the war museum earlier today.

BUT while lost, I drove by some fantastic temples and pagodas...










I stopped a few times to ask xo om drivers the way to Phan Xich Long.

The good news is that everyone seems to understand my pronunciation of the street, Phan Xich Long.

The bad news... is that many Vietnamese seem to say 'yes' or point the direction to a certain street... even when they aren't sure! One guy definitely sent me in the opposite direction than I needed to go. BUT I realized that I was on the road heading to the airport this time... and asked another xe om driver before actually making it all the way to the airport.

This xe om driver acted out the directions with this hands and lots of Vietnamese for me and then asked, "You understand?"

I replied, "Kind of."

To which, he laughed and pointed back the way I came.

I turned around... drove right by the same guy that gave me the bogus directions... and made it to Phan Xich Long! Hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment