Monday, November 14, 2011

...Weekend Recuperation Activities

After meeting Sarah at L'usine for breakfast on Saturday, I decided to try and scope out the "public library" in the city. I found some addresses for libraries - but all academic (which I might try to also check out some time!). There was one library listed that sounded as if I'd be let in... the General Sciences Library.

Well... this is the building of the address for the library... but none of the gates were open.  :P



Pretty building! I've passed this building a ton... and never realized what it was (well, it still might not be the library that I think it is... who knows?!)


Back in my neighborhood I got a $1.00 mani/pedi and then took a walk down some new streets. There are some beautiful condo-like buildings near me... and then I stumbled upon this beautiful pagoda...

(Well, first I noticed the flags hanging across the street...)





And across the street from this beautiful building...


Sunday morning on my way to (yup!...) L'usine to meet Riki and Saleshni, I came upon live jazz music outside the Opera House! Awesome!


These 6 Vietnamese guys were really good! (Well... so I thought... you can decide for yourself in the video clip below this next photo...)




(The little boy dancing on the motorbike thinks these guys were good too!)

I'm not sure what this checker-game is called but men play it all over! Usually the game is set up on a tiny table with men sitting all around the board on tiny plastic chairs watching the two players. I've heard that the game is extremely difficult to learn how to play and I believe they usually play for quite a bit of money.

I loved walking by this... (this is part of the city's culture that I love...)


I bought some rambutan (just looked up what this fruit is called!)... it is also knows as the "hairy cherry". This fruit comes off a tropical tree and I just learned that it is a non-climacteric fruit, meaning that it only ripens when on the tree (interesting!).




And I made a yummy caprese salad (why is this the first time I realized I can make this here?!). I wasn't able to find basil in the market but something similar-ish... I wanted just one stalk of the greens and the lady just shoved it in my shopping bag and told me to go away... she didn't want me to pay her for the measly bit that I wanted! Ha!


AND I'm still loving my corner fruit lady! --Mostly because she loves me too! I'm not sure what she says to me... but Sunday she pinched my arm, gave me a #1 sign, and kept cooing over me. 

Wonderful fruits year-round? yes, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment