Wednesday, November 9, 2011

If my life were a movie...

If my life were a movie... the following story would be a scene in it...

Two weeks ago when I was leaving Saigon to begin my Fall Break in Malaysia, I left my apartment with my carry-on suitcase and small canvas bag... and walked two blocks to grab a taxi from the gas station.

Taxis are constantly lined up at the gas station down the street... and there they were... but not a driver to be found!

I stood by the taxis for a bit - hoping a driver would see me with my luggage and come running... wanting a drive to the airport (usually just under 100,000 dong -- or $5.00).

No such luck.

I could not find a driver anywhere.

A xe om (motorbike taxi) guy came up to me on his bike and motioned that he would take me...

Uhh... thanks Guy but I have a suitcase here.

He didn't mind... he simply pointed to my suitcase and pointed in front of him... planning to stuff my suitcase in the space between himself and the front of the bike.

You know what? -- I figured if this guy was willing to carry me and my luggage to the airport...

...Let's do it!

AND I thought of all that can be carried on a motorbike...

...families of 5

...refrigerators

...front doors

...7 cases of beer

Yeah... even though I am monster-sized in this country, I do believe that I can fit on this motorbike with my carry-on luggage and the driver.

...So we were off!

I arrived at the Saigon International Airport in about half the time a taxi would have taken... I was in one piece (thankfully!), AND the trip only cost 40,000 dong ($2.00).

Awesome.

Let my Malaysian adventure begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment