Friday, September 9, 2011

Monsoon Season Reading Buddies

Well, as I type this... I think what is going on outside qualifies as a monsoon. It's pretty awesome since I'm in for the night and can listen to the pouring rain and wind outside.

After school today I ran a few errands and as I was driving out of a parking garage I could see it was raining. I stopped halfway up the ramp to pull my raincoat out from under the seat of my scooter and put it on... it helped but I was still soaked by the time I got home. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet with the face shield today! I drove through pouring rain and some areas of flooding... but nothing like what is going on outside right now.

This morning (it's hard to belief it is part of the same day... feels like so long ago) Sarah and I took her ESL / Language Arts class of 6th graders on a field trip. We went across the street to International School Saigon Pearl. We hope to make this a monthly field trip - her students read aloud to the 3-year old preschoolers! Not only was this activity super cute but it was also pretty awesome to see her students working so well with the little guys.

Our AIS 6th graders were very excited to work with the 3-year olds and they did a wonderful job. Nell, the librarian at SSIP is wonderful and I look forward to our future trips for this Reading Buddies initiative.

(Notice, no shoes in the library!... you leave them at the door.)

As soon as this little boy walked into the library, Jack called dibs on him. He could tell that this 3-year old is Korean like himself. The teachers were amazed that the little boy took so well to Jack so quickly - apparently he usually cries for most of the day.






It was really great to see how well our students could keep the 3-year olds engaged!

I loved sitting in the van on the way back to school listening to the students babble excitedly about each of their reading buddies. They can't wait to go back again. Not only is it awesome that they're spreading the love of reading but it's really great for them to be practicing reading aloud as well. I am loving this Reading Buddies set-up all-around.  :)

It's so nice that Sarah is open to my helping with her classes and participating in things. It feels great to be in the classroom getting to know some of the students better. We're talking about a couple of units to maybe co-teach together too, which would be a lot of fun.

Today marked the end of our fourth week of school with students... one month! ...And 4 more days until my two-month mark in Vietnam. It's funny how time is flying by here, yet it also feels like way longer.

3 comments:

  1. I love how your students interacted with the little guys. The picture of the 2 little ones on the girl's lap is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when the bigger kids work with the little ones!! I love reading about your adventures, sounds like you are having so much fun! I loved the video of your neighbors singing, so funny! Dalat looked beautiful! Ilse was just here looking at your blog with me and she keeps asking me when your coming back. Jen quickly replies, 2 years. They both love seeing your pictures! Missing you! KIM :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Kim! I love hearing that. I miss you!! XOXO Stacia

    ReplyDelete