Monday, September 26, 2011

Rainy Season is upon us

I think it's safe to say Saigon has entered the Rainy Season.

Upon arriving in mid-July I expected it to rain much more than it did... but I was assured by returning teachers that September and October would bring the monsoons.

The past month or so, it was not unusual to have a good, hard spout of rain in the afternoon or evening...

Now, however, the past week has brought rain at any time throughout the day. It's funny to see the students get all excited (some actually cheer!) when it begins to rain outside during the school day... I would think they'd be used to it and view it as more of a downer than something to cheer about.

It's a good thing last Friday was a professional development day and there were no students because it was raining - hard - in the morning and everyone was soaked coming in to school. I had my rain poncho on and rolled my pants up for the drive in... but my bum was still wet for the better part of the morning! Ha!

Last night it got really dark very quickly and I ran out to grab a banh mi from the cart on corner before it began to rain... good thing too - as soon as I got back up to my place with the sandwich it started to pour. It's crazy how fast the rain can come.

I woke up twice early this morning... because of the volume of the hard rain! I'm glad that the skies were just gray, but otherwise clear, by the time I drove to school... other than huge puddles (and getting sprayed a bit by other bikes), I made it to school dry enough.

...We'll see how October goes - being the bulk of the rainy season - and then I've heard that November through February, the weather should be "beautiful".  :)

1 comment:

  1. Do you know why the children cheer when it downpours? I wonder if it is something they are taught from older generations or is this a new "thing" they have developed? I'm curious to know. Thank you Stacia for blogging your interesting ventures..they have become a daily treat for me to read! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete