Friday, September 16, 2011

Mr. Nhan - 2 Than Lan!

As I put dishes into the kitchen sink last night I heard the chirping sound again!

I've heard it here and there lately - sometimes very loud... but never enough to call Mr. Nhan up to the apartment. I'm afraid he'll get to my place, we'll wait and wait for the sound, and he'll think I'm crazy - hearing this chirping sound that does not exist.

SO... this time the chirps were coming from right next to me! I look behind the pot holding my silverware aaaaand - 2 than lan!! ...Sure enough... there are 2 lizards (or geckos... or whatever you want to call them, but in Vietnamese I know now that they are called than lan).


It is 11:15pm at this point... so I send Mr. Nhan a text that says: Mr. Nhan - 2 than lan! About a minute later, Mr. Nhan knocks on my door and I show him the one that I was able to keep an eye on - the bigger, darker, fatter of the two than lan. 




Mr. Nhan attempts to catch this than lan but loses him... and we cannot find the other guy.

After a few minutes of picking dishes up, opening cupboard doors, looking behind the water cooler, I say to Mr. Nhan, "Sang mai."  ...Tomorrow morning.

He agrees... he will continue the search and hunt tomorrow morning. We laugh... he says, "hai than lan!" - I know that hai means two... we laugh again... yes, two than lan.

I wouldn't necessarily mind the than lan sharing my place BUT I do not enjoy the chirping... especially now that I know there are two (maybe more??) of them and who knows what they are up to!

Sheesh.  :P

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you finally found the source for the chirping! Now you and Mr. Nhan can be on the hunt until they are caught.
    Remember when Grandma and Grandpa thought the lizards around their home in Florida came from Lenny and Sean's "pet lizard collection" they had collected at Aunt Fran's in Bradenton! Now there are plenty outside Grandma's house too. OUTSIDE her house!

    ReplyDelete