Friday, September 30, 2011

Just some trinkets of thought...

  • Most people here work six days a week and have Sunday off. Talking to my neighbor last night, I was told that I work a "Western Schedule", Monday through Friday, and I thought to myself, Thank gosh I do! My weekends aren't long enough as is. My weekends never felt long enough in the U.S. either... but now, on top regular weekend plans, I want to also explore this land and see/do as much as I can.

  • Mangos have been plentiful lately at fruit stands and I plan to take advantage of that! I stopped by the fruit lady's stand today just around the corner from my place. A new guy was working with her - I haven't seen him before and his English was surprisingly good! Turns out, he is the fruit lady's son and is going to school for agriculture in England somewhere. (I asked him how long he is in town visiting... he didn't get it... so I asked him when he is going back to England for school... and he replied, "2006"... ummm... ok - it's times like that in which I smile, nod my head and move on. He helped me buy a mango (25 cents - sweet!) and then kept talking to me for a few minutes. His mother was talking to him in Vietnamese the entire time he was talking to me in English. He did finally tell me that his mother says I am very beautiful.  :)  And then he gave me his business card - if I have any questions about the city, I am to call him. Haha. I have a feeling his mother was trying to set up a set-up.  :P

  • Speeeeaking of business cards, I'm legit now. I have my own business cards! I have no idea who I will be giving one to (although it's very common here to hand them out to new/potential friends... I've probably received 10 or 15)... but I feel very professional. Check it out - 


  • I love the adventure I'm on right now BUT I'm sick of: heavy air, traffic with no rules, work drama, constantly feeling hot/sweaty/smelly, and being so far away from... my family and friends, Denver, Koura-bear, my outdoor runs in crisp Denver air, my bicycles, the change of seasons, Thursdates, my fall clothes and boots, FALL - the season in general, Chipotle, Starbucks chai, the Food Network, and being able to count on communicating in English. Sometimes two years seems like a really long time to be here. BUT with that, I'm happy it is Saturday morning - I'm off to enjoy the weekend and looking forward to it. It's often a crazy mix of emotions.

3 comments:

  1. hang in there my friend! I had a Starbucks Chai this morning. There are now 3 Starbucks in BP...sorry to brag, but that is "home" to me...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about I send you some leaves that have changed. They might be a little dried out by the time they get to you :)Being October 1st today we still have mostly green leaves. Not much change in town yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I bet you are feelin a bit home sick, I would be too! We both only lived in Florence for 2 months and I felt homesick by the end of that haha. It's a bittersweet emotion. But you are doing great over there...and by the time you come home, I bet there are things you will miss in Vietnam :)

    ReplyDelete