Monday, July 25, 2011

Disappearing entrance...

Last night I met up with James and his girlfriend. He is going to work at the elementary school and moved from Parker, CO.

I took a motorbike taxi into District 1 and ran a few errands before meeting them at the hotel. As I was about 2 blocks from the hotel, the sky opened up and I could barely get my raincoat on before already being drenched!

We waited for about 20 minutes for a taxi before deciding to head directly across the street for dinner. The three of us were drenched just from crossing the street! Usually there are taxis lined up, waiting for you... but apparently when it rains, you have to get one quickly or you're out of luck. I hope I am able to find a ride to and from work when the weather is bad (but we'll deal with that when it comes).

At dinner, I met two Australian girls that will be working at the elementary school with James. They seem great! It was so nice to be in a group and just hang out. Sometimes I find myself sitting in a cafe and wishing I could text friends from home just to say hello - but I guess that will come in time with friends here.

I was heading back to my place around 10:00pm and it was still raining but not very hard. I asked the hotel doorman for a  Xe ôm (motorbike taxi) and he did find a man but when they heard where I wanted to go (my place is a bit of a drive on a motorbike in the rain)... they both laughed at me and spoke in Vietnamese... but I kept hearing the word, "taxi". He did end up giving me a ride on his bike... and it all worked out fine but I know for sure that they were laughing at me (which I often feel might be happening here).  :P

Upon reaching my apartment, I realized that the entrance with the front steps had disappeared!! It took me a second of worried shock to realize that I was, thankfully, at my place but a big garage door is apparently shut at night. The gate to the basement was locked... but I figured there had to be a way in, as I was not told about a curfew!

I ended up ringing a doorbell on the side of the basement gate and Mr. Nhan (the building's security guard) let me in... he was sleeping in the little room on the side of the garage.  :P  I guess this is how it's supposed to work if I come back late at night, but I will ask Mai (my landlord) next time I see her.

No comments:

Post a Comment