Friday, July 29, 2011

French toast!

I bought eggs last week - which was a huge step for me since they are not refrigerated here. My dad's response to that is, "They're not refrigerated when they come out of the hen, are they?" haha... very true. Well, I bought them but had yet to use them.

I decided I would make french toast this morning. I was hoping that the end product would at least somewhat resemble french toast - and hoorah! I was happily surprised :)
And now I'll have leftovers too! This will be a great meal when I need comfort food to remind me of home. I was even able to find syrup at one of the grocery stores that I went to yesterday. ...I figure I can do a grilled cheese with tomato and spinach too! mmmm

After breakfast my mission was to find a photo store (not sure where the Photo Store Street is yet) to get passport photos. I was told by school to bring 24 passport photos with me... which I did... but the typical size for a passport photo in the US is significantly bigger than here. Yesterday, the doctor's office kind of laughed at the 2 photos I gave them and said they were so big!

Louise, the elementary librarian said that I will need the smaller sized photos for my residency card... so I figured I'd want to get on it and have them ready to go when the time comes.

I haven't seen any photo stores on the main street near my place so I decided to walk in the opposite direction than I'm used to. I passed by the Yamaha shop that Mai likes and asked a few people for a photo store. One guy took me to someone's house... it turns out that the guy is a photographer for advertising - haha - close! He directed me to a shop around the corner that does do passport photos though... success!
I was able to get 10 passport photos... which is perfect. I will keep trying to use my big US ones when I can but at least I will have the smaller ones if a place is more specific. So far I've had to give passport photos in the airport for my Visa and at the doctor's office. I believe each time I travel in and out of the country I will have to use them too... not sure.

Here's the size difference... VN passport photos are only 3 x 4cm.

I walked past this place on a really busy road! It reminded me of WaterWorld in Denver... :P

Here are some photos of the street that I walked down on my way home...



Now I think I'm going to head out for a manicure and then the cafe for a latte and a date with my Kindle.  :)  Aaaand of course some practice time on the scooter! A relaxing day sounds great since work stuff begins Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Please let Jack know that was quite the comment regarding the eggs ;) I always laugh when I think about what you two call each other!

    ReplyDelete