Tuesday, July 19, 2011

OK

Today has been 'ok'.

I feel like I've waited around for Vy most of the day and she kept pushing the time back, back, back... and then it was too late and we plan to go tomorrow.

I went out a bit ago to get dinner and look at hotels. My school will pay for this hotel two more nights and then I'm on my own. I want to find a cheaper one... and hopefully a room with a window!

Not too far away, I did find a number of hotels that are only around $20 - $25 / night (awesome!) and have windows - ha, perfect.

On my way back to the hotel, there were stray scooters riding up on the sidewalk to get around the street traffic (like in the 1st video I posted a few days ago) and as one drove past, I felt like I got punched in the chest.

The guy had tried to grab my bag! I was carrying my kindle and a small clutch. It's a good thing I had a vice-grip on my things. It was a shock and took me a few seconds to even realize what had [almost] happened.

I've been told numerous times to be very careful when carrying a bag... but I still don't think you're really ever ready for it.

THEN, while still disturbed, another scooter drove by and the guy tried to steal... my breast! He grabbed a hold... hard. I would like to think he was aiming for my bag, like the first incident just 30 seconds earlier... Either way, a scream came out of my mouth... but he was already well enough gone and all I could do was to keep walking.

I have made it back to my hotel safely (obviously since I'm writing this)... but I'm a bit shaken and have come back to the hotel without having dinner. It is 7:30pm and I guess I'll just have a cereal bar and head to bed.

I know that there will be many ups and downs during this journey but I do hope that tomorrow is much more fun.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stacia,
    You sound like you are doing a fabulous job adjusting, and really being adventurous. Today sounded like it had a few ups and downs, but I'm sure tomorrow will be better than the end of today (Tuesday). We are all thinking of you and missing you. Keep up the GREAT work. And... I hope you find the perfect apartment soon.
    Love you,
    Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Helen :) Yes, I'm determined to bounce back from days like yesterday, although I know those will happen. ...I found an apartment today!! I've put a deposit down and am hoping to move in tomorrow if all goes as planned. :D I'll write more about that later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey beauty,
    I just wanted to drop a note. I love your tales of adventure. I might start planning my own adventure to visit you.
    good luck on finding a place soon.
    -Sam (schmitz of course)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it all worked out Ok - that you did not lose your bag and didn't really get hurt, but I am so sorry that they did that to you! I know you are keeping your eyes open and are very aware of your surroundings, I'm sure that is why you are OK. Stay safe and keep soaking up all of the culture!
    Love YOU! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that happened to you :( I'm so glad you were OK and they didn't get away with your stuff. I'm sure that was a hard night big hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete