Monday, July 18, 2011

Mission Accomplished!

I think that this is the first endeavor that I've gone on so far that has gone as planned. ...Success!

I took a motorbike taxi to the Sofitel Hotel... and wore my new helmet.  :)

The Sofitel Hotel is a five-star hotel that Barb told me about... I tried to find it the other day but it has been renamed from the Metropole, so I hadn't found it. It is a goooooorgeous hotel. I had lunch here...



The service was incredible. They come by every now and then to pour more of your soda from the can into your glass for you!

After eating, I went to the gift shop and bought two fancy chocolates that I figure I can eat with Vy later as a treat when she takes me to see apartments. She told me that she does not like cheese... I hope she likes chocolate!

I think I will go to the Sofitel, or some kind of incredibly fancy hotel, about once a month as a treat. Lunch was about the same price as a regular meal eaten out in the U.S. and it's so worth treating myself to a nice meal that feels (and tastes) a bit more like home when I am this far away.

After lunch, I walked to the tailor... and found the one! That is a success in itself. The girl was very friendly and helpful. They are going to make a shirt and a dress for me from pictures that I brought. They took my measurements and I will go back on Wednesday for a fitting. I hope I love both pieces, as I would like to be able to go back to the same tailor every time and become 'friends' of a sort. The main girl's name is Dung (sounds like "yoom") and I think we're already on good terms.  :)

This is the article that I read: http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/tailor-made-travel/story-e6frfqb9-1225836958624
And I went to Viet Thanh since it is not too far from my hotel and the author of the article said that it was her favorite for casual and work clothes.

...Some pictures from my walk after lunch --> tailor --> hotel...
Many natives wear these hats. I want one because it will fit over my hair! ...but all that I've seen have embroidery all over them... very much for tourists. -Although I know I'll always look like a tourist here, I don't want to flaunt it.  :P

All of the 'dust cafes' have tiny tables and seats... like this. I read about it in the guidebook as well - but it's still funny to me when I see men sitting on a tiny plastic stool... I cannot picture men doing this in the U.S.


...More hats! There are people selling things like this all over. One of my next goals is to try one of the coconuts with juice inside, like those in the blue basket on the right :) but I was warned to make sure it is the original juice... no ice added and not juice that has been poured in.

Motorbikes... all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment