Saturday, July 23, 2011

School

I will be working at the American International School in Ho Chi Minh City, at the middle school level.

Here are pictures from school that I took yesterday...

The entrance to school, inside the front gate.

The library is right inside the front door.

The (small!) library looking out from my desk.

 
Phuong and I each have a computer here...

I doubt I'll ever be in as nice of a library as Leroy Drive again... but I DO love that I still have an entire wall of windows.  :)  ...The shelves under the windows are the nonfiction books and the wall of books along the back wall are the fiction books.

Looking towards the front of the library. I guess all 20 of the laptops were stolen last year at some point!! Phuong said they are getting more in for us. 

Newly ordered books that won't fit on the shelves. ...A problem that this librarian loves.  :)

Fiction books shelved on top of one another!

Part of my shelving plan is to add shelving units, 3 shelves high, at the end of each of these computer / work tables on the left. We will move the Reader collections and Vietnamese books (on the right) to the new shelves... shift the graphic books down... and then spread the fiction books out with the newly made space.  (It all makes sense to me at least haha... and Phuong seems to think that it will work well too!)

The other part of the shelving plan is to add one more shelf above these, along the entire length of the windows. We can then spread out the nonfiction books and (hopefully) have room for the collection to grow as well.

I've already decorated my computer station with pictures and other goodies from home!  :)

In order to get more shelves, Phuong said that I should find pictures online like what I want... then Logisitics will order some from a Vietnamese company. Phuong took the pictures and measurements that I came up with, filled out a form that is in English and Vietnamese, the Principal signed the form, Phuong then took it to Logisitics and we hope to have the shelves sometime towards the beginning of school (students start on August 15th).

It can be difficult coming in to a new school and having ideas but not being sure how school really works, etc. Phuong has been wonderful in explaining things to me and confirming my idea for the new shelves (there will be a lot of rearranging to be done!). She also said that the Principal really liked the shelving idea and thinks it's "great" - that made me feel pretty good so far!

1 comment: