Monday, July 25, 2011

"In" with the locals!

For lunch today I went to a place across the street that Mai, my landlord, said is good. I sat down at a table but ended up joining 6 Vietnamese men on their lunch break! They motioned for me to go sit with them and were all excited.

One of the guys spoke a bit of English but most of the meal was spent with them speaking to each other (about me)... they seemed very nice and kept trying to help me out. One of them put sprouts, basil, etc. into my pho for me... another opened a napkin to give to me... and they kept motioning what I should do with the various sauces. haha... it was fun but definitely awkward. One of the guys was trying to tell me something and then came up with the words "good friend"! haha... sweet.  :)

It was pretty cool to sit and drink iced tea with the locals.  :)

I love my neighborhood. Everyone is so friendly! A group of children saw me earlier today as I rounded a corner on the sidewalk and they got all excited. One of them began saying, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!" in English!! I do think that word is spreading here about an American redhead having just moved to the neighborhood.  :P

I am trying my best to learn when people are friendly, nice, and welcoming... and when people are laughing at me or taking advantage of me. I'm sure that I am not always reading situations the right way, but I do think that trying not to take things personally will be best for me.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are enjoying your new neighborhood! Watch out for those overly friendly local guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome, Stac! That steamed dumpling looked quite tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacia, this is Eliza, who works with your mom. Your blog is wonderful! When I was a newbie in Spain in my 20sI learned over time when people were being friendly (which turned out to be almost always) and when they were laughing/taking advantage (which turned out to be almost never). Between building up a knowledge of local customs and a body of local friends you will figure it all out! You have great instincts and I'm sure this will be an amazing experience. Thanks for posting your adventures for us "back home".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eliza :) your comment confirms how I've felt most of the time here. Most people are very friendly. I have been told to watch out for being taken advantage of (but the worst being charged $1 more here or there... b/c they desperately need the money & know I have it... or a taxi driver taking a long route). Overall, it's been great & I do hope to get to know the people in my neighborhood so that there is some mutual trust. :)

    ReplyDelete