Sunday, July 17, 2011

Phuong

Tonight I went out with Phuong, the library assistant... she is great!

[Gina, if you are reading this... I already miss you terribly. There will never be anyone like you. Phuong has a sweet tooth too, which will be nice... but I doubt she'll eat cake with me at 8:00am... and Oh! how I'll miss Fran's chocolate cake.]

Phuong is 23 years old and a sweetheart. She picked me up at the hotel on her motorbike and we went out for dessert. She speaks English very well and I think we will really get along! After eating and chatting, she drove me around the city a bit... I love motorbike rides! I would always jump at the chance to go on Lenny's scooter with him if he was running an errand or something... and now I can do it daily.  :)

Tonight when we were stopped at an intersection on her motorbike the lady next to us kept looking at me and was talking to Phuong in Vietnamese. After, Phuong told me that she asked where I was from... and then I thought that she said it is very big... meaning the U.S. but what she really said was that I am very big but have a nice body, hahaha. Most people stare at me or point at my hair and either begin talking to one another in Vietnamese or just giggle.

Today was another great day. While riding around the city with Phuong, I was thinking to myself, "I can live here... and I can love living here."  :)  Feels good to feel that way.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are getting so much out of this experience! Your motor bike rides sound like such a runway to see things and get around.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete